Mango Sago with Pomelo Dessert: Making mango sago with pomelo is so quick, fuss-free and needs minimum washing up – the perfect make-ahead dish to bring to a party! Mango sago with pomelo is a very popular dessert served in most Chinese restaurants, and was popularised by Lei Garden when it opened shop in Singapore. For me, I like mango pomelo sago much better than its counterpart honeydew sago because its more refreshing and I love the tangy flavour of the mango and the crunchy bits of pomelo which perfectly complement the softness of the sago pearls.
Today I will show you how easy it is to make mango sago with pomelo at home. The only thing you need to cook is the sago. The rest of the ingredients are just mixed in together and then chilled overnight before serving! Its so quick, fuss-free and needs minimum washing up – the perfect make-ahead dish to bring to a friend’s house!
Note: For Special Diets, please read the notes at the bottom for suggested modifications.
Mango Sago with Pomelo Recipe
Making mango sago with pomelo is so quick, fuss-free and needs minimum washing up - the perfect make-ahead dish to bring to a party!
INGREDIENTS FOR MANGO SAGO WITH POMELO RECIPE (serves 12-15)
- Ripe mangoes, 2 medium sized
- Uncooked small sago pearls, 1/2 bowl
- Water for boiling sago, 5 litres
- Mango juice, 2 litres
- Pomelo, 1/2
- Evaporated milk (I like Carnation brand), 200ml
- Nata de coco , 1/2 cup (optional)
COOKING METHOD FOR MANGO SAGO WITH POMELO RECIPE ( 45 min)
- Cook the sago. Use our guide on How (Not) to Cook Sago.
- Drain dry the sago and allow to cool.
- Peel the pomelo and gently separate out the individual juice pulps.
- Cut the mango into small cubes
- When the sago is cool, add the mango, sago, evaporated milk, nata de coco, pomelo segments and mango juice into a bowl. Stir well and chill until very cold.
TOP TIPS FOR MANGO SAGO WITH POMELO RECIPE
- Ensure that the mango is nice and ripe, otherwise the dessert will not taste as good. The Australia mango sold in Singapore looks delicious but somehow it’s not fragrant or sweet. So I prefer to buy the Thai honey mango instead. They are sweeter but you must make sure they are ripe and not hard. You can buy the mangoes and leave them at room temperature (not the fridge) for a few days until it they ripen. Over-ripe mangoes will turn dark and mushy. So make sure the mangos are soft but not too soft when you are choosing them.
- Mango sago is best eaten when it is very very chilled. So be sure to chill it until it is very cold. Just before serving, add ice cubes to the dessert to chill it further, and to make it less sweet.
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
Baby/Toddler-Friendly: Suitable for toddlers and above – dilute with water if preferred and cut everything into tiny pieces to avoid choking.
Child-Friendly: No modifications needed.
Egg-Free: No modifications needed.
Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
Gluten-Free: No modifications needed.
Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
Vegetarian: No modifications needed