Steamed Garlic Butter Prawns is so easy to prepare and tastes great! In my earlier attempts to make this dish, I couldn’t figure out why after steaming the prawns, I would ended up with a lot of water in the plate, leaving the prawns limp and not as flavourful. I was looking for an answer for a long while, and I guess
this is a trade secret many people would keep to themselves.
But finally I found out the answer which I gladly share with you, and it all lies in using a sheet of baking paper to cover the prawns while steaming. Try it and see. I bet it will make such a big difference in the taste and texture of the steamed prawns that you would not mind the extra effort. Hope you enjoy the natural sweetness of this Steamed Garlic Better Prawn dish in the New Year 2017!
- 16 pieces Large Prawns Red Legged Prawn / 红脚虾 ／ Ang Kar Hay
- 6 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Hua Tiao Chiew 花雕酒 Also known as Shao Xing Wine 绍兴酒
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 2 sprigs Spring Onion
- 2 tbsp Oil
Wash the prawns and use a pair of kitchen scissors to make a slit at the back of the prawn, then devein the prawn leaving the shell still on. Watch my Video Tutorial on How to Clean and Prepare Prawns.
Pat dry the prawns and add 1/2 of salt and 1/2 tsp of sugar to it. Mix gently without breaking the heads of the prawns until the salt and sugar are evenly distributed.
- Wash the spring onion and cut into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 20 secs. Add 2 TBsp chopped garlic to it and set aside.
- Line a stainless plate with the baking sheet, making sure the sheet is long enough to line the dish, as well as to wrap over the prawns.
- Arrange the prawns in single layer on the stainless steel plate lined with baking sheet. Avoid stacking the prawns one on top of each other as they won't cook evenly.
Spread the garlic mixture over the prawns and cover it with the baking sheet.
- In a wok, add sufficient water for steaming (good rule of thumb is that the water should reach the same level as the top of the steaming rack) and bring to a boil over high heat.
When the water is boiling, place the plate of prawns on the rack and steam for 2 1/2 mins.
- Turn off the heat. Unwrap the baking sheet, and add the chopped spring onion on top of the prawns.
- In a small pan, heat up 2 TBsp of oil over high heat. Add the 4 TBsp of chopped garlic to the pan and fry till golden brown. Remove the crispy garlic and set aside.
- Reheat the oil, quickly pour the hot oil over the spring onions.
- Add 1 TBsp of Hua Tiao Chiew and 1 tsp of sesame oil to the prawn.
- Place the crispy garlic on top of the prawns and serve hot.
- I prefer to use 'Ang Kar Hae' (Red Legged Prawn) for this recipe. If you can't get hold of that, you can also use Big Tiger Prawn as a substitute.
- Devein prawns (See my Kitchen Survival Skills Tutorial on How to Devein Prawns). Then wash and pat dry.
- Do not oversteam the prawns otherwise they will be hard and dry. For bigger prawns, you will need to steam it for an extra minute or so.
- The prawns will not lose much water when they is wrapped up with baking sheet, thus retaining their natural sweetness and maintaining their crunchiness.
- When uncovering the baking sheet, be careful not to be scorched by the steam inside.
- Pouring hot oil over the spring onions will help to release a wonderful fragrance from the spring onions - so this step is essential!
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Child-Friendly: No modifications required.
- Egg-Free: No modifications needed.
- Fish-Free: No modifications required.
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten free Hua Tiao Chiew or skip it.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
If you enjoyed this Steamed Garlic Butter Prawns Recipe, you may also like:
See also our most-read recipes and how-to cooking tips:
- How to Choose Broccoli
- Old-School Hainanese Pork Chop Recipe
- Fried Oyster Omelette (Or Luah) Recipe
- The 10 Things You MUST Know About Choosing the Freshest Fish
- Chinese Crispy Roast Pork Belly Recipe
- Chinese Steamed Egg with Minced Meat (蒸水蛋) Recipe
- [Video] How to make Egg Mayo in Toasted Bread Cups
- [Video] Kitchen Hack to Pack and Freeze Prawns Quickly