Crispy Egg Tofu with Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce: You can make this super delicious, easy finger food in 15 minutes with just 5 ingredients! The outcome: Crusty golden outside, silken smooth inside – So good, you can even eat it on its own!
Recently I wrote about how to make Cold Silken Tofu with Crispy Garlic and it was a big hit! Many readers were surprised that you can actually eat Silken Tofu ‘raw’ without cooking. Actually it is not raw, because the packaged silken tofu from the supermarkets is already cooked, so its definitely ok to eat it chilled without cooking – my family has been doing that for many years!
But its a different matter when it comes to Egg Tofu… For Egg Tofu, I always prefer to cook it first, because eggs are easily contaminated, so you will want to cook it to kill any bacteria first.
Today I will share one of my absolute favourite ways to cook Egg Tofu – simply coat with cornflour and deep-dry it until crispy, and serve hot with Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce. It takes you only 15 minutes to make using just 5 ingredients, and its guaranteed to be a hit when you set it on the table, whether its a simply family meal affair or if you are planning to entertain a larger group!
Get more wonderful Tofu & Egg Recipes here
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and please leave me a comment below if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback for me!
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Child-Friendly: No modifications needed.
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Gluten-Free: No modifications needed.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
- Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Vegetarian: No modifications needed
You can make this super delicious, easy finger food in 15 minutes with just 5 ingredients! The outcome: Crusty golden outside, silken smooth inside - So good, you can even eat it on its own!
- 2 Tubes Egg Tofu
- 3-4 TBsp Corn flour
- 200 ml Oil
- Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Thai Lime
- 1 Sprig Parsley Optional
Use a sharp knife to cut the tofu roll into half at the centre of the tube. Then, squeeze out the tofu gently from each ends.
Cut the tofu tube into 1.5 cm thickness, and gently pat dry with a kitchen towel.
Place the cornflour on a plate. Coat the tofu with the cornflour and shake off the excess flour and set aside.
In a wok, heat up the 200ml of oil over medium heat. When it bubbles, add in the coated tofu to fry.
Gently flip over a few times until golden color (about 3-4 mins). Fry the tofu in batches of 3-5. Do not overcrowd the wok.
Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil
Transfer tofu to a serving plate. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot with Thai sweet chilli sauce and Thai lime. Serve hot
- For deep-fried tofu, you must get the egg tofu. Plain silken tofu will not turn golden and crispy and it tends to disintegrate easily.
- Coating the egg tofu with cornflour not only make it crispy, but also prevents the oil from splattering during the frying process.
- You will need to shake off the excess flour before frying, otherwise the loose flour on the outer layer will fall out and gets burnt causing the oil to turn black, making the tofu black as well.
- For Thai Chilli sauce, I recommend the 'Chicken' Brand that you can get from NTUC.
- You can also make your own Thai chilli sauce. Please look out for an upcoming recipe on how to make Thai Chilli Sauce.