Home-Style Creamy Mushroom Soup: My favourite mushroom soup recipe by far! Creamy but not overwhelmingly so, gluten-free, full of earthy mushroom flavour and a beautiful texture and mouthfeel!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click the link and make a purchase, we receive a small commission that helps us keep this blog running. But we will only link to items that we would consider buying ourselves or recommending to friends.
My family loves creamy mushroom soup – it is the perfect comfort food for lazy and rainy days. I have tried out many creamy mushroom soup recipes, but I must say this recipe is by far THE BEST Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe I have ever tried – creamy but not overwhelmingly so, not starchy, full of earthy mushroom flavour and a beautiful texture and mouthfeel (the trick is in the celery – which I will talk about later)! It is also gluten-free (no flour added!), so its perfect for my 2nd granddaughter who is allergic to gluten. Everyone in the family from the oldest to the youngest simply loves this creamy mushroom soup recipe so much that has become a permanent feature in our annual family Christmas dinner tradition.
I first learnt this creamy mushroom soup recipe from one of the ladies in my Bible Study Fellowship group after she prepared it for the group many years ago. In fact many of the ladies in the group are superb cooks, so I would always look forward to the very scrumptious home cooked meals at every fellowship gathering (we jokingly referred to our fellowship gatherings as ‘Fei Lo’-ship – literally translated from Cantonese as ‘Fat Man’-ship in reference to our expanding berths). Her creamy mushroom soup was such a hit, that everyone asked for the recipe! Since then, I have experimented with that recipe many time, making my own modifications to get that perfect taste and mouthfeel, and learning many tips and tricks along the way. Here are some of my best tips:
Tip #1: Don’t Wash the Mushrooms
Avoid washing the mushrooms before cooking them, otherwise they will absorb water and turn soggy during cooking. Instead, use a soft-bristled brush to gently brush off any excess dirt.
Tip #2: Use A Stainless Steel Hand Blender
To get the mushroom soup to a really smooth and silky texture, you will need to blend it after cooking. Instead of waiting for the soup to cool before transferring it to a food processor, you can save time on washing up and waiting by using a stainless steel hand blender to blend the hot soup right in the pot. Make sure that both the rod and the blade are made of stainless steel so it is able to withstand the high temperature of the boiling soup. It also needs to be powerful enough. I am using the Braun Hand Blender which I highly recommend. It is powerful enough at 600W with stainless steel rods and blades and still pretty affordable for a multi-purpose appliance.
Note: For Special Diets, please read the notes at the bottom for suggested modifications.
THE BEST Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
My favourite creamy mushroom soup recipe by far - creamy but not overwhelmingly so, not starchy, full of earthy mushroom flavour and a beautiful texture and mouthfeel!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE (serves 8)
- Fresh Button Mushrooms, 600 g
- Yellow Onion, 1 Medium-Sized
- Celery, 1 Stalk
- Garlic, 2-3 Cloves
- Parsley, 1 Stalk
- Butter, 50 g
- Chicken Stock, 1 Litre
- Water, 1 Bowl
- Milk, 200 ml
- Salt, ½ Tsp (Optional)
- Heavy Full Cream, 150 ml
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste (Optional)
PREPARATION FOR THE BEST CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE (20 mins)
- Use a soft brush to lightly brush off any dirt from the mushrooms. Then slice the mushrooms thinly.
- Wash, peel and slice the onion into thin strips.
- Remove the fibrous veins from the celery by breaking it into small sections by hand and tearing along the veins. Once the fibres are removed, wash and slice the celery into thin strips.
- Wash, peel and chop the garlic finely.
- Wash the parsley, pat dry and cut into ½” lengths.
COOKING METHOD FOR THE BEST CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE (30 min)
- In a large pot, melt 20 g of butter over low heat and add the mushrooms. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot, melt 30 g of butter over low heat and add in the onions. Fry until caramelised.
- Add in the garlic and the celery. Fry for a few minutes until the celery is soft.
- Add in half the bowl of cooked mushrooms (leaving the other half as garnishing), 1 litre of chicken stock and 1 bowl of water to the mixture.
- Continue to simmer at medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use a hand-held blender to blend the soup in the pot until smooth.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil again over medium heat.
- Add in the 200 ml of fresh milk and stir well. Then remove from heat.
- Taste the soup and add salt if preferred, stirring well.
- When ready to serve, ladle the mushroom soup into individual bowls. Add 1 TBsp of heavy cream in the centre and top with the mushroom slices, fresh parsley and a sprinkle of ground black pepper if desired. Serve hot.
TOP TIPS FOR THE BEST CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE
- Avoid washing the mushrooms, otherwise they will absorb water and turn soggy during cooking.
- For a more ‘East-meets-West’ flavour, mix the button mushrooms with some shitake mushrooms.
- When using butter to fry anything, always turn the heat to low because butter gets burnt very quickly.
- To avoid the soup becoming fibrous, break the celery stem into small sections by hand and pull it along the veins to remove the fibres before chopping.
- Avoid boiling the soup vigorously once the milk is added, as milk tends to burn easily.
- Save cooking time by using ready-made (preferably MSG free) chicken stock. I like the Heinz brand Chicken Broth.
- Save washing up and waiting time by using a hand blender to blend the hot soup right in the pot, instead of waiting for the soup to cool before transferring to a food processor. Use a blender with a stainless steel rod and blade, rather than plastic ones, so it can withstand the high temperature of the boiling soup. Make sure it is powerful enough. I love my Braun Hand Blender (available on Amazon) – powerful enough at 600W with stainless steel rods and blades and still pretty affordable for such a multi-purpose appliance.
- Turn the hand blender speed to low initially to prevent the hot soup from splattering.
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Baby/Toddler-Friendly: For toddlers 1 year old and above, you can modify the recipe to reduce or skip the butter, use breastmilk or formula instead of milk and skip the heavy cream, parsley and black pepper.
- Child-Friendly: Kids will love this mushroom soup. If you want it to be healthier, you can do the same modifications as for toddlers.
- Egg-Free: No modifications needed.
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Gluten-Free: This is a flourless creamy mushroom soup recipe; No modifications needed.
- Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Vegan: Replace the milk with your favourite milk substitute such as rice milk or oat milk. Replace the butter with olive oil. Skip the full cream.
- Vegetarian: No modifications needed