So you have already decided start a blog using the WordPress + Bluehost combination, but don’t have the patience for lengthy tutorials? This easy beginner’s guide can help you set up your WordPress Blog in just 15 minutes (including the time it took you to read this)! Getting the job done has never been easier. Now you can focus on the much more important task of creating killer content!
- Set-Up Web Hosting (“This is Your Shop Space”)
- Go to Blue Host’s website
- Click on ‘Get Started’ to select your plan – we started out using the Basic plan (most economical option for tight budgets!)
- Type in your preferred domain name and check for availability
- Select the 36-month plan (best value) and select the ‘Domain Privacy’ add-on unless you want lots of spam! Ignore the rest of the add-ons. Don’t worry, you can always add them on later once you know what you actually need!
- Fill in your account details and make payment.
- Once completed, you will receive an email with your login details for the Bluehost control panel (known as cpanel).
- Set-Up WordPress (“This is Your Systems & Infrastructure Backbone”)
- Login to Bluehost, ignore all the icons, scroll down to the ‘Website’ section, and click on the icon that says ‘Install WordPress’
- Click on the ‘Get Started’ button, then select your domain name from the drop-down box. Leave the directory field blank.
- Enter your site name, username and a password for WordPress. Then check all the boxes and click install. (During installation, ignore the prompt to browse wordpress themes. You can install a free theme later.)
- Once complete, you will see a ‘Installation Complete’ notice at the top of the page.
- Select Your WordPress Theme (” This is Your Interior Design”)
- Go to your WordPress login page. It should look like this: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin (replace ‘yoursite’ with your domain name)
- Enter your WordPress login details
- Go to the dashboard on the left panel, and click on ‘Appearance’, then ‘Themes’
- On the top of the page, click on the ‘Add New’ button
- Select any theme that you like, then click ‘Install’ and then ‘Activate’. You can experiment with a few until you find something you like.
Job done! Your WordPress blog has been set up in just 15 minutes. Now you are ready to write your very first post!