Double-boiled black chicken herbal soup is a very nourishing soup, especially for women. Drinking this soup helps to improve blood circulation and revitalise your energy levels, and it helps to replenish the blood stores after a woman’s monthly cycle so you won’t look pail and fatigued. My mother used to double boil this soup for my sister and I every month without fail, and I continue to carry on the same tradition for our daughters as well.
Black chicken herbal soup falls into a third category of Cantonese soups: Dun Tong (炖汤) – the other two categories being Po Tong (煲汤) and Gun Tong (滚汤) with I explained before in my recipe for Sweet Corn Pork Rib Soup. For the double boiling method, a smaller covered pot of soup submerged and steamed within a larger pot of water. This method will help to extract out all the essence, flavour and nutritional goodness of the chicken into the soup, and is the preferred method for making nourishing tonics such as this one.
Note: For Special Diets, please read the notes at the bottom for suggested modifications.
[recipe title=”Black Chicken Herbal Soup Recipe” servings=”2-3″ time=”3 hours 35 minutes” difficulty=”Medium” image=”https://burningkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/herbal-black-chicken-soup-2w.jpg?w=571″ alt=”Black Chicken Herbal Soup” width=”750″ height=”986″ description=”Double boiled black chicken herbal soup is very nourishing, especially for women”]
[recipe-ingredients title=”INGREDIENTS FOR BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP (serves 2-3)”]
- Black Chicken, 1
- Dang Shen, 10 gm (about 4 thin slices or 1 thick slice cut into 1/2 cm widths)
- Wolfberry, 5 gm (1/2TBsp)
- Red Date, 4-5
- Hwang Qi, 5 gm (1 long strip)
- Zhong Xiong, 3 gm (4 slices)
- Dang Gui, 3 gm (4 slices)
- Gan Cao, 2 gm (3-4 thin slices)
- Gao Li Shen Xu, 5 gm ( 4-5 sticks)
- Boiling Water, 2 Bowls
- Dried Longan, 5 (optional)
- Boiling Water, 2 bowls
- Water, 2 – 2 1/2 litres
[recipe-directions title=”PREPARATION FOR BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP (35 mins)”]
- Cut off the feet and head of the chicken. Discard the head. Cut off the claws of the chicken feet and wash clean.
- Remove the skin and fats from the chicken. Cut the chicken into half.
- Clean the inside of the chicken and rinse well.
- Rinse all the herbs except the wolfberries.
- Place the chicken and chicken feet into a stainless steel bowl or porcelain pot with cover.
- Put all the herbs into the pot together with the chicken except for the red dates and wolf berry. Add in 2 bowls of boiling water and cover the stainless steel bowl with aluminium foil or a stainless steel plate that fit into the bowl.
[recipe-directions title=”COOKING METHOD FOR BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP (3 hr”]
- In a large pot, pour in about 2-2 1/2 litre of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water is boiling, put in a steaming rack and place the stainless steel bowl / porcelain pot on top. Cover the large pot.
- Double-boil the chicken for 3 hours over medium heat, ensuring there is always sufficient water in the outer pot.
- After 2 1/2 hrs, add in the red dates and wolfberry and continue to double boil for another 30 mins.
- Add salt to taste and serve hot.
[recipe-notes title=”TOP TIPS FOR BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP”]
- Remove the skin and fats from the chicken so that the soup won’t be too oily.
- I do not normally add salt to the soup as the soup itself has its natural sweetness.
- If you are using a stainless bowl without cover, you can use aluminium foil to wrap around the bowl to form the shape first. When you lower the bowl into the bigger pot you can slowly place the aluminium to fit around the bowl.
- Be careful when you lift up the foil, the steam will rush out and you will get burn. Do it slowly to let off the steam through the gap before you add in the red dates n wolfberry and cover it again.
- You need to check the water level in the big pot throughout the double boiling process. If the water level is running low, add only boiling water otherwise the cooking time will be different. Caution: If the water level is down to zero, the chicken soup will also dry up and the pot will be burnt as a result.
- After consuming the soup and if you do not like to eat the chicken, you can add 1 bowl of boiling water and boil again for a 2 second time over medium low heat for another 15-20 mins. This time round there is no need to double boil, simply boil it as the chicken is still quite tasty. In this way you need not waste the chicken meat which is by then would be tasteless and can be discarded without feeling that it is a waste.
Suggested Modifications for Special Diets
- Egg-Free: No modifications needed.
- Fish-Free: No modifications needed.
- Gluten-Free: No modifications needed.
- Nut-Free: No modifications needed.
- Shellfish-Free: No modifications needed.
If you enjoyed this Black Chicken Herbal Soup Recipe, you may also like:
See also our most-read recipes and how-to cooking tips:
- Silken Smooth Chinese Steamed Egg with Minced Meat Recipe
- How (NOT) to Cook Sago – 3 Common Mistakes People Make
- How to Choose Broccoli
- Steamed Garlic Butter Prawns Recipe
- Mango Sago with Pomelo Recipe
- How to Choose Shiitake Mushrooms
- The 10 Things You MUST Know About Choosing the Freshest Fish
- Chinese Crispy Roast Pork Belly Recipe
- [Video] How to make Egg Mayo in Toasted Bread Cups
- [Video] Kitchen Hack to Pack and Freeze Prawns Quickly